Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-12 of 12
Work request for various items; Where do I go to make one?
Requests for City Services can be made through the Connect Fort Dodge app and website, powered by SeeClickFix. Click the link below for more information.
Digging in the right-of-way; Should I contact someone?
Yes, the Engineering Department, City of Fort Dodge, Iowa @ 1-515-576-3601 AND Iowa One Call @ 1-800-292-8989 Any work performed in the right-of-way (ROW) requires a permit. Additionally, homeowners are allowed to remove and/or repair their sidewalks with a permit, but any other work performed in the ROW must be done by a registered ROW contractor. To apply for a ROW Excavation Permit, click the link below.
Public Right-of-Way; What is it?
The public right-of-way (ROW) is municipal property designated for general public use. It consists of public improvements and private utilities. Examples of public improvements include streets, sidewalks, sewers, water mains and street lights. ROW often specifically refers to the area between the public sidewalk (or property line) and the curb line of the street. While this is consider city property, the adjacent property owner is responsible to the maintenance of this area. Additionally, any and all work performed in the ROW requires a permit and may be required to be performed by a registered ROW contractor.
Sidewalk or driveway installation; Do I need a permit?
Yes. All work in the Right of Way (ROW) requires a permit from the Engineering Department. Homeowners are allowed to repair and/or replace their own sidewalks, however, any other work in the ROW must be perofrmed by a registered ROW contractor.
Public right-of-way work; What requires a right-of-way permit?
The following require a permit: Sidewalk Construction Driveway Construction Curb and Gutter Opening Sewer Service Repair or Connection Water Service Repair or Connection Storm Service Repair or Connection Installation of Irrigation Systems Trenching All types, except sidewalk repair and replacement, require the work to be performed by a registered ROW Contractor.
Excavation permit application; How and where do I complete it?
Any and all work excavation performed in the right-of-way (ROW) requires a permit from the Engineering Department, click the link below to fill out the application. While homeowners are allowed to remove and/or repair their sidewalk, all other work in the ROW, must be performed by a registered ROW Excavation Contractor.
Public Right-of-Way; Where is it?
The public right-of-way includes the street and an area of land between the street and the legal property line. The legal property line is typically in the vicinity of the back of the public walk. (This is the side of the walk, closest to your home or business)
Public Right-of-Way; What responsibilities does a homeowner have in this area?
The property owner must keep the area free from holes, depressions, ridges or obstruction that could cause injury. This includes maintenance and snow removal on sidewalks and mowing of grass.
Planting within the Public Right-of-Way; What are my options?
Citizens are encouraged to contact the Forestry Department at 515-573-5791 before they plant any trees, bushes or anything other than grass and low ground cover in the right-of-way. Some trees are not approved for right-of-way planting. Citizens should be aware that anything planted in City right-of-way can be removed for construction or maintenance.
Sidewalk width; What should it be?
Residential sidewalks must be at least 4 feet wide on local streets and 5 feet wide on arterial streets. Commercial and industrial sidewalks must be at least 5 feet wide.
Sidewalk thickness; What should it be?
Sidewalks should be a minimum of 4 inches thick. Sidewalk through driveways shall be 6 inches thick, or the driveway thickness, whichever is greater. Sidewalks through alleys shall be 6 inches thick. Click the link below for more information regarding specifications.
Sidewalk needs to be repaired; Who should I contact?
Sidewalk maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner. A contractor who is licensed and bonded with the City of Fort Dodge can repair this for you, or you the homeowner can also do the repair with a permit and following city specifications. Please contact the Engineering Department at 576-3601 for details on the ROW Excavation permit or check out the Action Center on this website to obtain a permit. Click below for more information.
Results 1-12 of 12

Contact Us

David Fierke, City Manager
City Hall
(More Like This)
819 1st S Ave
Fort Dodge, IA 50501
Get Directions

  • Phone: (515) 573-7144
  • Fax: (515) 573-5751
  • Staff Directory
  • Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday
    8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Stay Connected:

Facebook Twitter Click to Take A Video Tour of Fort Dodge